Cliche or classic? Who cares! What matters is that it’s delicious! The beets nestle themselves like jewels amidst the mixed greens. They are sweet and earthy and pair perfectly with the creamy, tangy goat cheese, while the candied walnuts add loads of texture, offering a sweet, crunchy bite. This salad is quick and easy to prepare and works great as a light lunch, first course and makes a delicious vegetarian option.
Tip: In order to maintain the bright color of the beets, boil the beets whole to prevent the color from leeching out. Adding one tablespoon of vinegar to the cooking water will also help them retain their color.
Beet Salad with Mixed Greens, Goat Cheese and Candied Walnuts
For the Salad
- 5 medium sized beets, cleaned and trimmed
- 1 -10 ounce package mixed greens
- 1/2 cup candied walnuts or pecans, chopped
- 3 ounces goat cheese
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tspn salt
- 1/4 tspn pepper
- 1 tspn dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Place the beets in a saucepan and fill the pot with enough water to cover them completely. Boil for 25- 30 minutes, or until fork tender.
- While the beets cook, make the dressing. Combine the oil, vinegar, dijon mustard, garlic, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl and whisk until well combined.
- When the beets are fork tender, remove them from the water and drain. When they have cooled enough to handle, cut them into wedges, drizzle with some of the dressing and toss gently.
- Put the mixed greens in a large mixing bowl and toss with the remaining dressing.
- Arrange the mixed greens on the platter. Top with the beets, crumbled goat cheese and candied walnuts, and serve.