Fresh Tomato and Red Onion Salad
ls it just me, or does it seem like all the tomatoes in the garden ripen at the same time? Here's a quick and easy way to enjoy them. I add a bit of sugar to the dressing to mellow out the tartness of the vinegar and bring out the sweetness of the tomatoes. It makes a delicious side to just about anything, plus it looks beautiful on the table!
Yield: 6 people
For the Tomatoes
- 2 lbs Fresh Ripe Tomatoes
- 1 pinch Oregano Dry, crushed
- 1/2 Small Red Onion Cut into 1/4" thick slices
- Fresh Basil
Red Wine Vinaigrette
- 3/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 tspn Sugar
- Salt qb
- Pepper qb
- For the dressing: Mix all the ingredients together and whisk until emulsified. Set aside.
- Wash and dry your tomatoes, cut into thick wedges and add to a mixing bowl.
- Slice the red onion into 1/4" thick slices.
- Season with salt and pepper, drizzle with dressing and gently toss.
- Transfer to a serving platter and top with basil and a pinch of crushed oregano.